How to Test for linked files

Steve Blair scb at juniper.UUCP
Tue Apr 12 22:48:50 AEST 1988

I am using a script for my backups, both local and remote. I have the following
layouts on any of my diskfull fileservers(and may not want to change them):

7 servers who export a filesystem which looks like:

/nfs/machinename/unn0
where: machinename=something like helium
nnn: first two letters of the name(i.e.: he)
/nfs/helium/uhe0

I also have 2 machines with much smaller disks who only have a link to the users'
home directory:

lrwxrwxrwx date /nfs/iridium/uir0 -- > /usr/steve

The incremental scripts can run fine and find the link and follow it to do the backup(inc).
However, the full dumps do the following:

1)Test for a filesystem
2) if local, unmount it for taping(6250)
3) if remote, go to the host via 'rsh' and umount it if possible

Herein lies the problem, when the dumper accesses to remote machine(s) which
only have a link, it BOMBS!!!

Does anyone out there know of a way to test a filesystem vs. a link? Do I have to
make a hard link or set sticky for dump to follow?

I have Sun 3 & 4's and am running O/S 3.4.1 .

Any Help would be appreciated.......

scb

uucp: {backbone}!sun!decwrl!spar!ascway!blair