AT&T and SUN Unix

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 22:35:38 AEST 1988

In article <703 at sun.mcs.clarkson.edu> mrd at sun.mcs.clarkson.edu (Michael R. DeCorte) writes:

>  I have been following (mostly over the net) the deal made between
>AT&T and Sun to merge BSD and SV (I shall call it V.4).
[stuff deleted....]
>This is sort of a propietory system now isn't it.  I can't get source and
>the definition is made by >a small group of people.

     I think you are suffering from the same misconceptions as the Hamilton
Group was back in February.  Right now, most of the variants of Unix are
either based upon System V or BSD.  It is not a situation where something like
Ultrix (to pick one) is radically different from the base system.  Of course,
there are the vendor specific extensions, etc...., but underneath it is BSD.
The merge of System V and BSD means there will be *ONE* base system upon which
all other Unixes will be based.  Nothing else changes.  You can still get the
source (who said you couldn't ?).  And the definition has always been made by
two small groups of people (basically) at AT&T and Berkeley.

     From what I have read concerning the Menlo Park Project (should have been
Menlo Park, NJ - one of Tom Edison's lab sites), input will be taken from other
concerned parties outside of AT&T and Sun.  However, *they* will decide what
goes into it and what does not.  I imagine that we will see a working system
out of this process long before any standard becomes a reality.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207