Curses: Drawing Boxes -- sending control chars

Russell Lawrence russ at wpg.UUCP
Fri Aug 26 06:06:24 AEST 1988

The curses box() function draws crude boxes around windows using ascii
characters like '|' and '-' that are passed to the function as
arguments.  By contrast, I'd like to write a better box drawing routine
that would take advantage of box drawing graphics capabilities on some
terminals.  Unfortunately, the terminfo definitions don't include any
parameters that would be appropriate, and the tic(1M) program won't
allow me to define new ones.  I figured I could get around the problem
by concocting a small database containing the command strings for the
various terminals we use in our office, but then I remembered that
curses functions won't allow me to send unadulterated control characters
to the terminal.  Can anybody suggest a work around?
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 456-0001
{uunet,killer}!wpg!russ