News Readers

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob
Sat Aug 6 02:03:53 AEST 1988

In article <4619 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, tlh at cs (Tom "Hey Man" Hausmann) writes:
| In article <3100 at cs.utexas.edu>, ubiquity at cs.utexas.edu (Richard Hoffman) writes:
| > I am looking for a news reader that will combine the interface of
| > "vnews" with the kill file maintenance of "rn", and perhaps provide
|
| See summary
|
| -Tom

See summary :-).

To elaborate, Gnews uses the screen interface of GNU Emacs to provide
both spooled access to local news directories (ala rn) and NNTP access
to remote news directories (ala rrn).  Elaborate "kill-file" setups
are provided, and in the GNU Emacs philosophy, it is also well
documented with hooks to modify *anything* you don't like.  Searching
and sorting by subject title are built-in.  Full source is available
via FTP from ucbvax.berkeley.edu (mail weemba at garnet.berkeley.edu for
help).  I'm converted.  I haven't invoked rn in almost a month.

(weemba: do I get my $5 now? :-)
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Publications (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon