jove

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Wed Aug 10 14:19:08 AEST 1988

In article <282 at lclark.UUCP> dan at lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
|Does anyone know what sort of impact jove has on system performance?

Very little for average use.  It's not a very big or complex program
and it doesn't do very much.

|We're running Bsd 4.3 on a VAX 11/750 and I'd like to know what's
|going to happen to our response time if all of a sudden ( this fall )
|we have 10-15 people on the system using jove ( as opposed to vi ).
|My suspicion is that things will run a bit slower, but how much?

I don't think it will run appreciably slower (maybe not even
noticably), although I can't really be sure since I haven't seen the
code for vi to see how it does things.  I would not recommend using
jove, however.  The version that I tried to port to SysV on a Silicon
Graphics 4D had some more-than-ugly code; I don't trust it anymore.
You might look into microemacs, which is more portable than jove, more
functional, and is still quite small and quick.  That should also have
little effect on system performance.

BTW, 15 people on a 11/750 is going to be very, very slow no matter
what editor you're using.

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu