strange timing problem in /usr/ucb/Mail

Steve Hayman sahayman at watmath.waterloo.edu
Thu Aug 11 15:33:24 AEST 1988

Chris Torek discusses problems with Mail's "~h" and TIOCSTI and
suggests
>Either way, just changing Mail will not do it.
>
>(Another possibility is to make Mail run in cbreak mode, and have it
>simulate the kernel's tty input editor.  There is or was code in Mail
>to do this.  This solution is at least as unsatisfactory as TIOCSTI.)

Another another possibility is to arrange that "~e" and "~v"
in Mail let you edit the whole message, headers and all.  We did that
here (actually we added "~E" and "~V" commands, to edit the
whole message as opposed to just the text), which sort of
eliminates the need for this TIOCSTI stuff.  (and which also
lets you add neat headers like "Return-Receipt-To:".)

If anyone's interested in these changes, let me know and I can try
to make them into a patch.

..Steve

--
Steve Hayman         Math Faculty Computing Facility     University of Waterloo
watmath!sahayman        sahayman at math.waterloo.edu        sahayman at water.bitnet