Ever heard about a Prime 4 Mark 12?

W. Fred Rump fr at icdi10.uucp
Sat Aug 20 00:03:56 AEST 1988

In article <33449 at philabs.Philips.Com>, jam at briar.philips.com (John A. Murphy;6216;4.80;$0332) writes:
[ Does anyone have any experience with the following piece of equipment?
[ Made by Prime 4 Mark 12 running (from what Ive been told) a vanilla
[ type UNIX.  Any experience with the hardware or the OS would be appreciated.
[ This is for a friend and they might be forced through strange political
[ channels to use this beast and they are looking for info, both good and bad.
[
[ Murf
[ The world is really just a big ball of dirt.

Are you sure you're not talking about a "Point 4 Mark 12" system?

This is made by Point 4 Corporation in Tustin. CA.;  Up to 256 ports running
IRIS.
The company used to be called EDS (Educational Data Systems) and tried to sell
to schools who needed lots of terminals for cheap. But alas, no Unix was
available as the proprietary OS was so optimized for the hardware that
Unix couldn't even come close.

PS We have 6 of these babies coupled to run 600+ terminals for on of our
customers, ie all of their video stores in one big city on one big system.
Alltogether we support about 500 of these Point 4 systems that nobody ever
heard of.

So be gentle, this is a friendly, highly cost-effective beast. (Probably 1/3
the cost of anything it competes with)
--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
or ...{bellcore!bpa rutgers!bpa}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr