Ultrix 1.2 make suffix assumptions

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.intel.com
Thu Aug 11 07:13:35 AEST 1988

In article <248 at eliot.UUCP>, janm at eliot (Jan Morales) writes:
| Let's say I have a file called "foo.c" that compiles to "foo".
| When I worked on a System V machine, I was able to type
|
|     make foo
|
| and make would know to run
|
|     cc -O foo.c -o foo
|
| to produce "foo".  Now I'm working on a MicroVAX II running
| Ultrix 1.2 and when I say
|
|     make foo
|
| it says
|
|     Make:  Don't know how to make foo.  Stop.

Welcome to the differences between UN*X versions.  V7, and the BSD
derivatives (yes, wizards, I know BSD is really V32 :-) don't have any
way to specify a null suffix.  Sys3 and SysV have some added
functionality to allow for null suffixes.  (I don't remember the
syntax at the moment, and I'm on an Ultrix machine, oh well.)  It's
not just a matter of changing .SUFFIXES...  make(1) has to know about
how to do it.

UNIX... the only operating system where reinventing the wheel is a way
of life.  (But at least most of the wheels have shiny chrome :-).
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Publications (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon