username problem

Aaron Zimmerman aaron at proxftl.UUCP
Fri Aug 12 23:32:07 AEST 1988

I have a curious problem on my 3b1...

Login: aaron
Password:
$

[that is, I log in okay]

$ who am i
aaron      w4           Aug 12 08:01
$ passwd
Changing password for LOGIN
Permission denied.
$ passwd aaron
Old password:
<etc.>

So what's happenning is: somewhere along the line, some things think I'm
aaron, while others think I'm not. What's the story? I figure something might
be wrong with my /etc/group or my /etc/passwd. Could someone please post
examples showing what proper 'group' and 'passwd' files look like (or if you
have a better guess at what this problem is, I'd love to hear it). Thanks
much.

__   |  Aaron      |  Proximity Technology  |  #include <disclaimer.h>  |
     |  Charles    |   3511 N-E 22nd Ave.   |  #include <cute_quote.h>  |
__   |  Zimmerman  |    Fort Ladeda, Fla    |  cat flames > /dev/null   |