What is 'sockets' ???

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 25 01:49:23 AEST 1988

In article <913 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <916 at altger.UUCP> amigaeb at altger.UUCP (Ronny Hansen) writes:
>>I am trying to learn about socket's, but I cant find anything
>>to learn from. No books. No magazines. No nothing.
>
>Look for "A 4.2BSD Interprocess Communication Primer" by S.J. Leffler,
>R.S. Fabry, and Bill Joy.  I was looking for a long time for stuff
>on sockets until I found this 23-pager buried in the "supplemental
>documentation" volumes of my local Ultrix-32 document set.

You may want to track down a copy of the Networking primer supplied with
the new Sun OS 4.0 manual set. It is surprisingly clear. Even after working
with sockets for over a year, they were still alot like black-boxes to
me until I read that. Also, take a look at Maurice Bach's book, "The
Design of the Unix Operating System". Even though he focusses on Sys V, he
covers important issues in BSD including Sockets.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people