vi vs. emacs

Michael A. Petonic mikep at ism780c.isc.com
Tue Aug 2 05:11:39 AEST 1988

In article <Aug.1.09.48.52.1988.8196 at topaz.rutgers.edu> ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
 >I should point out children that Control-? does not exist and is
 >a figment of the BSD control character printing routine.
 >
 >-Ron

Sorry, Ron.  This doesn't come from BSD, although it's popularized there.
I've seen references to ^? being translated to DELETE dated back in October
1977 in RFC #734 (SUPDUP Display Protocol which ran on the ITS, TOPS-20 and
Stanford's SAIL operating system at a machine at (each) MIT, Stanford, and
SRI International).

-MikeP
Michael A. Petonic				mikep at ism780c.isc.com

        ``When was the last time you dug a ditch, baby?''