Setting up a new system

Frank W Peters PETERS%MSSTATE.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Sun Aug 7 23:45:40 AEST 1988

Hello,

     We are in the process of setting up our department's first
general purpose UNIX box (a Unisys 1100 running sx1100/2R1E3, a
System VR2, for those who may be interested).  This is a plain
vanilla SysVR2 implementation.

     We would like any suggestions in the following areas:

  (1)  Any suggestions regarding what generally useful software
       to make available (so far all we have availabe above and
       beyond the release is xlisp).  This is a mainframe system
       so we can run large packages if they are useful.  Please
       include a contact and approximate cost (if any) if you have
       that information available.

  (2)  Specifically regarding emacs we would like any comments
       for or against the various flavors.  What do the fuller
       implementations offer over, say, Jove?  Please do not
       send any flames of the emacs vs vi vs some-other-editor
       variety.  We are just going to make it available, not
       try to suggest which to use.  Are there any other PD
       (or very cheap) editors out there that we should be
       looking at?

  (3)  What are the chances of porting ksh (the vendor does not
       offer this shell)?  We will soon (hopefully) have a source
       license but would prefer not to wait for it if possible.
       So, where would we look for the source?   Is the desire
       to offer it in the absence of vender support even a reasonable
       ambition?  How much would the necessary licenses cost?

  (4)  What are the currently available repositories of PD software?
       We will have FTP available within the month.  are there any
       internet/bitnet available mailing lists we should be on in this
       regard besides this one and the comp.sources.unix list?  How
       about unix users groups?

     Please e-mail responses to me directly and I will summarize
to the net if interest warrents.

     Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

                    Frank W Peters
               Mississippi State University
                    Computer Center

Bitnet:    PETERS at MSSTATE
Internet:  PETERS%MSSTATE.BITNET at cuny.cunyvm.edu

P.S.  If you send using an address other than the above, please
      let me know in the body of the letter what path you use.
      I am still learning how to traverse the various gateways.