username problem

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 11:20:35 AEST 1988

In article <578 at proxftl.UUCP> aaron at proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
 >I have a curious problem on my 3b1...
 >
 >Login: aaron
 >Password:
 >$
 >
 >[that is, I log in okay]
 >
 >$ who am i
 >aaron      w4           Aug 12 08:01
 >$ passwd
 >Changing password for LOGIN
 >Permission denied.
 >$ passwd aaron
 >Old password:
 ><etc.>
 >
 >So what's happenning is: somewhere along the line, some things think I'm
 >aaron, while others think I'm not. What's the story? I figure something might
 >be wrong with my /etc/group or my /etc/passwd.

sounds more like a problem with /etc/utmp to me, since passwd seems to think
you are "LOGIN", which is one of the entries in the utmp file, whereas it has
nothing to do with either /etc/passwd or /etc/group.

What does "who" show ?

It seens that either /bin/login does not properly update the utmp file, or
else /bin/passwd does not read it properly.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD