"ie0: Ethernet jammed" on a Sun 4/110

Operator root at helios.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 18 23:45:55 AEST 1988

In article <1670 at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> @aplvax.jhuapl.edu:trn at warper.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) writes:
> ... Regardless of
>whether an Ethernet cable is plugged in or not, attempts to use the network
>generate the message
>
>	ie0: Ethernet jammed
>
>This same Ethernet cable works when plugged into our Sun-3.

Does the same *transceiver* work when you connect the Sun 3 to it? You may
run into problems if the transceiver is generating heartbeat, which the Suns
(using 802.3) don't want. Also, I'm not sure how configurable the on-board
ie is, but you might want to check whether it's set for the right level of
Ethernet. I know this has to be done for the second Ethernet interface, by
means of a jumper (level 1.0 vs. 2.0).

Other than that, I'd say "start screaming". If you don't have the cable
plugged in, your Sun 4 should be saying "ie0: no carrier", not "jammed".

--
 Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
 Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth at utorphys
 U. of Toronto        INTERNET - sysruth at helios.physics.utoronto.ca
  Physics/Astronomy/CITA Computing Consortium