jove

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:32:25 AEST 1988

In article <24356 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd at bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>In article <282 at lclark.UUCP> dan at lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:
>|Does anyone know what sort of impact jove has on system performance?
>
>Very little for average use.  It's not a very big or complex program
>and it doesn't do very much.

It get's one of the lowest "hog" factors from sar on 386/ix.

>                                        I would not recommend using
>jove, however.  The version that I tried to port to SysV on a Silicon
>Graphics 4D had some more-than-ugly code; I don't trust it anymore.
>You might look into microemacs, which is more portable than jove, more
>functional, and is still quite small and quick.  That should also have
>little effect on system performance.

Jove4.9 is a superb piece of work, unlike the mess that makes up
MicroEmacs.  Not only is it written much better, but the code is more
reliable, and it has more features.  I used and hacked MicroEmacs up to
the days of 3.7, and then found Jove.  I'll never go back.  I won't even
try and find a copy of my sources to let people try and fix bugs that
still persist since the Dave Conroy days, in both major diversions of
MicroEmacs:  MicroEmacs, and MicroGNU.

The only "ugly-ness" in Jove has to do with the fact that it replaces a
good part of the stdio library, for some VERY good reasons.  This also
generates some portability problems, though it is MUCH more portable
than your average stdio.

The only remaining bug I thought Jove4.9 had has turned out to be a bug
in the Xenix V 286 2.2.1 compiler.

As it has also turned out, Jove is more portable than MicroEmacs.  I've
already mentioned the functionality.  Jove easily ports to most any
version of Unix, and now runs on MS-DOS and the Mac.

Hopefully the version you had was quite old.

>BTW, 15 people on a 11/750 is going to be very, very slow no matter
>what editor you're using.

:-)

--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada