SCCS and vc: how?

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Aug 13 14:23:40 AEST 1988

Help!  How does one make use of the Sys V vc(1) command?

I would like to be able to attach a version label to a set of SCCS files
such that the current (or specified) revsion would be a member of the
new version.  I would the like to be able to say 'get -vversion file|dir'
or type 'make VERSION=version'.

Polytron VCS has this capablilty.  I'm not sure if RCS does.

After that, it should be easy enough to use SCCS "recursively" to create
a database of "versions" and their descriptions.

Currently, I save the output of 'what *', and use that with a very simple
shell script to re-build an old "version".  I could, but don't, store the
what lists in another s-file, such that each subsequent revision of the
what list could be used to specify a new version of the rest of the files.

I'd rather be able to specify arbitrary strings as version labels (ie: such
as "Beta 1.0").

The man page vc(1) hints that vc can be used to make this a bit easier.

BTW:  I also use Eric Allman's SCCS to make life even simpler.

As usuall, please reply by mail, I'll summarize for the net.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada