Looking for a Simple Text Editor

Bo Thide irf at kuling.UUCP
Sat Aug 27 02:59:35 AEST 1988

In article <2557 at shark.TEK.COM> donr at shark.TEK.COM (Don Riss) writes:
>VAX or SUN or whatever?  The UCSD editor will do a lot of things, some
>of them the hard way, but its main advantage seems to be that moderately
>intelligent seventh-graders can (and have) learned it quite easily.
>
>An aside - I've got to fix my .cshrc - it threw me into (yuk-ptui) vi
>to write this note.  I've just found out that J is the way you delete
>a CRLF.  Now that's not intuitively obvious to the casual observer...

The vi "J" stands for Join lines. In fact ALL vi commands and operators
are single letter mnemonics! (a=Append, b=Back, c=Change, d=Delete, f=Find,
G=Go to, H=Home, i=Insert, J=Join, L=Last line, M=Middle line, n=Next,
o=Open a new line, p=Put back from buffer, r=Replace, s=Substitute,
t=To, u=Undo, w=Word, x=CROSS out, y=Yank into buffer, z=set Zone).
This my eighth-grader son learnt after a few minutes of 'vi' wordprocessing
for a school project... He is (at least) moderately intelligent.

-Bo