A blank line before the unix prompt?

Maarten Litmaath maart at cs.vu.nl
Thu Aug 11 05:39:53 AEST 1988

In article <1236 at ficc.UUCP> spenser at ficc.UUCP (spenser aden) writes:
\This is interesting, and I would like to do something similar on my XENIX 386
\machine, but I've got a problem.  I'd like to display the current directory
\on the firrst line, and the csh history counter on the second line at the
\prompt.  Something like :
\
\/usr2/spenser/bin
\(15) _
\
\In order to do this, I have to alias 'cd'.  I've tried this (and a few
\derivations of) in my .cshrc :
\
\alias cd 'cd \!* ; set prompt="[=5h"`pwd`"[=5l \
\(\!) " '    # set prompt string

Try:

	alias	cd	'cd \!*; set prompt="<esc>[=5h`pwd`<esc>[=5l\\
	(\\!) "'

Notice: the newline and the second ! have to be escaped twice, once on setting
the alias and once on executing it.
BTW, it's a nice prompt indeed.
--
If you enjoyed the recent heat wave,  |Maarten Litmaath @ Free U Amsterdam: