Writing HP cartridge tapes on a Sun 3

Bob Lenk rml at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Fri Aug 12 09:33:35 AEST 1988

> >I was told by HP at a UNIX class that their file system for UNIX is
> >actually built up an an older file system.

> This was true on the now-obsolete series 500 machines, which used SDF
> (Structured Directory Format), but the current 300 and 800 series machines
> both use the Berkeley-McCusick Fast File System.

The boot block on the series 300 file system is structured as an older
file system format (known as LIF, logical interchange format).  The file
system beyond that is (essentially) the BSD file system.  This has
nothing to do with the cartridge tape issue.

> If this is true, can you then explain the following:  when you create
> swap space on an HP disk drive, you may not change the size without
> reformatting the disk.  I was told that this is because the swapping
> space is in the old file system and therefore static.  If anyone knows
> how to change the swap size dynamically ( we use SDRC CAD programs
> that are real swap hogs ) please let me know...

Swap space on the series 300 can be configured as any combination of
pieces of the forms:

	- a whole disk
	- the part of the disk that is left beyond the file system
	- any explictly specified portion of a disk

The second is the most common, and the only one that is normally useful
on a system with a single disk.  The only way to increase swap space
on such a disk is to rebuild a smaller file system.  This has nothing
to do with the LIF file system in the boot block.  The only other
way to add swap space is to add another disk.

These answers do not apply to machines other than the series 300.

		Bob Lenk
		hplabs!hpfcla!rml
		rml%hpfcla at hplabs.hp.com

Standard disclaimer - the statements and opinions are mine alone.