New newsgroup? (was Re: Process control in Sys. 5)

Leo de Wit leo at philmds.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 18:29:06 AEST 1988

In article <188 at dcs.UUCP> wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
   [my posting containing a response in Dutch deleted]...
>Can we have some more of this (i.e. postings in foreign languages)? Provides
>a great intro to computer jargon in the various languages. I had no idea that
>in Dutch one talks about programs "turning" instead of "running". I do notice
>the same preponderance of English terms as in German computer jargon --
>my favorite in German is "Fietschers" -- spotted in a magazine for Apple users
>a couple of years back. What would that be in Dutch?

Maybe we need a new newsgroup for this kind of stuff (or maybe there's
already one there that I don't know of). The 'fun with Unix' hausse we
had last months seems also to fit into this category. Suggestion:
comp.unix.chat (no, I will *NOT* take actions to start it 8-).

The questions and wizards groups don't seem appropriate for this stuff;
they would get polluted. In eunet.jokes we had some computer jargon
too; but I can imagine the other continents being interested as well.

About "turning": we used it already in connection to vehicles:
'keep the engine running' would be translated to 'laat de motor draaien'.
Some of the turning can be found back, e.g. when you run a loop 8-).

The other way around can be interesting too; for the following one you
have to know that 'core' sounds a bit like 'koor' in Dutch, which
means: choir.
So I imagine a choir in a bus taking a trip; when the driver gets to a
canyon, he makes a mistake and

Bus error - core dumped.

                   Leo.