UniSoft 'ping'

Rob Hulsebos hulsebos at philmds.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 02:51:12 AEST 1988

I'm running a UniSoft V.2 kernel with their tcp-ip extension which works
very nice, except that the 'ping' utility is in yoyo-mode. First take an
anti-confusion drug.... then read on.

UniSoft GmbH in Munich (Germany) told me that 'ping' does belong to the
product, and so we got it on one of their ports (68010 CPU).

UniSoft GmbH was then asked to do a 68020 port for us, again with 'ping',
according to their own product specification.
But before they could do that port all GmbH activities were transferred
to London.

UniSoft Ltd. in London (UK) tells me that 'ping' is not on my system because
it is not part of _their_ product, and therefore not on the port
they did for us (68020).

UniSoft Inc. in Emeryville (USA) makes manuals in which 'ping' is mentioned
very often; these manuals are subsequently sold to me by UniSoft Ltd., though
they still claim that 'ping' is not part of their product.

HELP!!! Depending on which part of UniSoft you're speaking to, 'ping' does
        belong or does NOT belong to a port. A little bit confusing...
        UniSoft is UniSoft, one would think.

Questions:
- Is there anybody in this galaxy also running UniSoft ports with tcp-ip ?
- Did you get 'ping' or not ?
- If you did get it, which part of UniSoft did you get it from ?
- if you didn't get it, do you know why ?

BTW: any interest in a 'comp.unix.unisoft' newsgroup ?