No more careless crossposts! (was: Re: More Jokes!)

Tony Nardo trn at warper.jhuapl.edu
Sat Aug 13 00:46:42 AEST 1988

In article <810024 at hpsemc.HP.COM> gph at hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) writes:
>filip at alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) writes:
>
>>       Well, I am heartened to see that there are
>   >more jokes on the humour group... I especially liked
>   >the "... ya, but these Fokkers were flying Messershmidts!" (sp)
>>
>>Warning : Possibly offensive to Jews ?
>
>    Don, this must be a mistake.  Possibly you meant to post this to
>a different group?
>
>    In case you really are ignorant about this sort of thing, let me
>enlighten.  This is a newgroup for notes regarding questions about hte
>unix operating system.  No one appreciates jokes here, and it is bad
>taste to post them.   Perhaps you meant to post in another group called
>rec.humor?
>
>    You are probably going to get flamed for this.   Try to be more
>careful next time.

I hate to defend an obvious lack of consideration, but...

The first person who posted a "fun with UNIX" joke that included rec.humor
in the distribution list is the real person to blame, not Don.  Note that
Don's jokes were posted to *BOTH* comp.unix.questions and rec.humor.

Most people simply don't think to check the distribution on a followup
article.  (For that matter, most people don't even think to change the subject
line!)  Thus, whoever decided to share this joke with rec.humor invited
a response from the rec.humor readers.  So, whoever was the first person to
post a "fun with UNIX" article with cross-posting to rec.humor, consider
yourself flamed!  :-)

Seriously, it doesn't take *that* much effort to post an article twice.
If you have to send something to a normally unrelated newsgroup, please
send it separately to each group.

P.S.  About these "fun with UNIX" jokes - I guess they're funny if you run
      System V, but most of them aren't amusing at all on BSD 4.2.  If you
      post a joke, could you also post the flavor of UNIX used as well?

ARPA:   @aplvax.jhuapl.edu:trn at warper	   \
        nardo%str.decnet at capsrv.jhuapl.edu  }  one of these should work
UUCP:	{backbone!}aplvax!warper!trn	   /
USnail: c/o Johns Hopkins University/APL, Room 7-53
	Johns Hopkins Road
	Laurel, Md. 20707

"Those who can do, those who can't teach.  And those who can't do either
become critics.  That's why there's so many of them."
				A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG GOD