bbs for unix based systems

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Aug 11 03:17:12 AEST 1988

In article <16763 at adm.ARPA> snorthc at nswc-g.arpa writes:
| I think I saw an answer to the bbs for unix system question
| fly by.  Someone recommended XBBS.  They said you could
| get it from (714) 898-8634

| Does anyone know about or use XBBS?  Is it Public Domain or commercial?

  It's free use. I can't remember if it's really PD, but you don't pay
to use it.

| Do you get source?  Above all, does it support Kermit?

  You get source and it supports a number of protocols as separately run
processes. I haven't seen the later versions, but the one I have is not
remotely table driven, so adding or deleting protocols involves hacking
a huge switch statement. I changed mine to use the rzsz stuff for all
[XYZ]modem stuff, too.

  Comment: XBBS has a reasonable user interface, and people like it. The
version I have is not the latest, and I understand that improvements
have been made in modularity and coding techniques, so my impressions of
the code are probably out of date.

  You might also consider UNaXcess, available from Brandon Allbery,
allbery at ncoast.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)