Writing HP cartridge tapes on a Sun 3

Anthony Burzio burzio at mmlai.UUCP
Sun Aug 7 04:17:27 AEST 1988

In article <63050 at sun.uucp>, swilson%thetone at Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) writes:
> In article <614 at ednor.UUCP> cgf at ednor.UUCP (Chris Faylor) writes:
> >
> >Does anybody know if it is possible to produce a tar tape on a Sun
> >that is readable on an HP 300?  It seems that the HP uses some kind
> >of strange format...
>
> I tried this for a while one day and finally gave up.  I think
> HP uses some different kind of format.  We couldn't even get the

I was told by HP at a UNIX class that their file system for UNIX is
actually built up an an older file system.  The UNIX volume is
a file in this other system.  Without this file system on the tape,
you are out of luck.  Of course, HP didn't throw in a program to FORMAT
this older file system, therefore you have to buy their tapes...

> In short we gave up and tried to transfer data with ethernet, of course
> the HP was thin ethernet and the Sun thick so ...

DEC sells a little gizmo for switching between thick and
thin Ethernet (if you can stomach talking to DEC...)