tar frustration (was Re: relative pathname question!)

Fred Fish fnf at fishpond.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 03:53:15 AEST 1988

In article <1988Aug13.190030.1495 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods at gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>Anyone done any work on the PD-tar lately?  It needs multi-volume
>handling, should have the ability to format floppies, and change devices
>inter-volume (ala cpio), before I'll bother using it.

Just a suggestion for anyone making such changes; you might want to consider
also adding device cycling, a feature I just recently put in BRU (Backup and
Restore Utility).

That is, if you give it more than a single "-f <device>" option, it remembers
them and cycles through them in the specified order each time it finds the
end of one volume and needs another.  When it gets to the end of the list
it issues an appropriate prompt and waits for a response.  Thus if you have
four tape drives for example, you can do something like:

	bru -f /dev/rmt0 -f /dev/rmt1 -f /dev/rmt2 -f /dev/rmt3 ...

and go away until your four tapes are done.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113