getlogin() problem (was Re: username problem)

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Tue Aug 16 15:08:09 AEST 1988

In article <467 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <578 at proxftl.UUCP> aaron at proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
>|>I have a curious problem on my 3b1...

>|>$ who am i
>|>aaron      w4           Aug 12 08:01
>|>$ passwd
>|>Changing password for LOGIN
>|>Permission denied.
>
>The problem occurs not in passwd (or the /etc/passwd file), but in the
>getlogin(3C) function call.    This problem occurs if you use multiple
>getty's on /dev/window, or you have something running on w1 when the
>getty respawns for /dev/window.

I've also had this problem with 386/ix, when a getty in the LOGIN state
dies abnormally.  A 'who -a' shows LOGIN and xyzzy both on the port, but
it gives an exit status for LOGIN.

I'd call this a bug (and I will bug-report it too).  The problem occurs
with any utility that calls getlogin(3C), including mail, etc.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada