etc/issue : undocumented, etc/dialups : undocumented etc..

Jos C. van Wezel wezel at balaena.UUCP
Wed Oct 19 21:35:03 AEST 1988

Skimming tru my sysV manuals I came across the file /etc/issue, in the
man pages for getty. However it is only mentioned, no description.
I remember seeing somewhere it differentiated between several projects,
and then echoed a specific line when getty started. No reasonable file
format did the trick however, so I'd like to ask if anyone knows what
format to use or else what the file is for.
In my bin/login (I'm on a 3B2, V3.1) after an od I found the path:
/etc/dialups. Now this isn't even in the manuals. Again where is it used
for, and what is the format. Maybe it's a relic, but there no means for
me to check that out.
I'd be obliged with an answer.

Jos