changing mail directory

Der Tynan dtynan at sultra.UUCP
Sat Oct 8 09:51:11 AEST 1988

In article <1162 at mrspoc.UUCP>, Steven M. List writes:
> In article <305 at mccc.UUCP> Pete Holsberg writes:
> > In article <390 at westmark.UUCP> Dave Levenson writes:
> > > You will probably need to re-compile rmail to accomplish what you
> > > want.
> > That'll be hard without source code!
>
> Not if you use smail.  It lets you specify all sorts of things and, of course,
> being available on the NET includes source code.
> :  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.

Sorry to break it to you Steven, but smail won't help in this case.  I know,
because I *used* to use the braindead SysV mailer.  smail, which, by the way,
is a *great* package DOES NOT deliver the message.  It uses the original
distribution mail program (which is moved to /bin/lmail) to actually put the
mail in the spool directory (which remains /usr/mail/xxxxx).  The actual
tasks done by SysV mail (I'll refer to it as lmail) in delivering mail, are
very straightforward.  I'm surprised that Horton et al didn't just rewrite
this mechanism.  They didn't however, so the solution to the original posters
problem, is to rewrite lmail.  AND, of course, upgrade (and I do mean UPGRADE)
to smail.  That's what I did, and besides some early teething problems, the
mail system ain't half bad now.  Also, mail is kept in /usr/spool/mail!!!
						- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan at sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan