dbx trouble -- help!

Jeff Van Epps jjv3345 at ritcv.UUCP
Thu Oct 6 08:33:27 AEST 1988

Greetings netters.

We are having a problem with dbx.  As the project in question has developed,
each team has been able to use dbx on their portion of the software.  Now,
upon linking all of the pieces together, dbx chokes on the file with the
following message:

    Reading symbolic information...
    gettype: file index too large, fileindex 23, nextfile 23; at
     "=s4obv_count:(0,4),0,16;obv_cmd:(0,2),16,8;obv_data:(23,2)=
      ar(0,1);0;0;(0,2),24,8;;"

Even with all of the debugging information, the total size of the executable
only comes to 1 Meg (stripped it's only 250K).  It seems to me that dbx has
surely been used on larger programs in the past, and therefore mere size is
not what's bothering it here.  We tried recompiling half the code without
the "-g" option, but still dbx did not like it.  The only unusual thing I
can see in the setup is that we use multiple partial "ld"s during linking
as there are very VERY many files.  This didn't bother dbx earlier though,
so I'm not sure why it would complain now.

For reference, we are running SunOS 3.4 on 3/50's and 3/60's (same result
on either type of machine).

So, does anyone have any clue why this is happening or what we can do
about it?

		    Thanks for listening.