Debugging programs with fork

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Oct 3 15:55:03 AEST 1988

In article <12523 at oberon.USC.EDU> pgarg at pollux.usc.edu (Pankaj K. Garg) writes:
> I am having trouble debugging programs which fork other
>processes. Dbx doesn't seem to handle them easily.

> I am using sun workstations running Unix 4.3.

[Sun workstations do not run `Unix 4.3', by which I guess that you mean
`4.3BSD': Sun workstations run SunOS and Mach.  This question should
have been directed to a Unix-specific group, not comp.lang.c; I have
redirected followups to comp.unix.questions.]

You are quite right; the existing Unix debuggers cannot handle programs
that fork.  SunOS 4.0 provides new facilities that make it possible,
but if you are dealing with older Unixes, you must either delete the
fork, or fall back on more `traditional' debugging schemes.