DTR problems with AUX 1.0

Alex Nghiem nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Oct 8 09:18:44 AEST 1988

In article <6624 at ut-emx.UUCP>, nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
> Has anyone had problems setting up modems for dialup with AUX? We
> are using a Microcomm 9600+, a Microcomm 2400+, and an Everex 2400
> externals. In all cases, the modems will not answer the phone under
> AUX.
>
> Is there a problem with the way AUX raises DTR? Why is it that
> the modems answer correctly under Mac OS, but does not answer
> under AUX. Does AUX raise DTR to constant EIA levels or
> does AUX "pulse" DTR at some high frequency?

Hats off to Antonio and Tim @Apple.com . They spent some time on
the phone with me Thursday morning evaluating the problem. Then
they got an identical Microcomm modem from their lab and tested
it on their system.

They determined that the modem can be made to work in "dumb" mode.
The Apple engineers are working to determine why AUX will
not work with the modem in "smart" mode.

nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu