ENET EXOS 204 - Help Needed

Mr. Uucp gilgut at cg-atla.UUCP
Tue Oct 25 23:00:10 AEST 1988

I am posting this for a friend at a site that doesn't receive news.
Please address any help you can give to Jean-Paul Cottier. He may be emailed
via ...{decvax,ulowell,ima}!cg-atla!cgeuro!cottier
Site "cgeuro" is CompuGraphic in France.
Thanks in advance.
					Steve
*************************** CUT HERE ******************************

Hi

I am having a big problem and maybe you can help.
Here is the situation:

Some months ago, I ordered an Network Interface Board EXOS 204 from
Excelan - 2180 Fortune Drive - San Jose, CA 95131 - 408.434-2310

The vendor supporting Unix System V is located in England (Inset for
Instruction Set - London). They gave me the library than contains the
Excelan Driver (for the Exos 204 Board) to be linked to the Kernel.
So far, so good.

I was then expecting the rest of the programs (telnet, rlogin, rcp etc...)
from them on a tape....

They were used support TCP/IP on Vax System V.

But :

Excelan no longer supports system 5 on VAX.
Inset have given us the driver , this is the only part that
was modified, the rest of the software is standard EXCELAN software.

We have been shouting at Excelan to find a copy of the software which did
exist, we know that it will not have any of the new features of the latest
release, but all of the basic TCP/IP software is there.
They don't seem to want to even admit that it ever existed - although at
one time both Inset and British Telecom were both using it !

Inset have been as helpfull as they can be, they have even offered to
look through their archive tapes to see if they still have a copy of the
software. The problem with that is that there would obviously be no
support in case of problems, and they don't have a copy of the (paper) doc.
The only other solution they can offer is the software that both they and
British Telecom use (which was developed under contract for BT), which is
a port of the BSD 4.2 TCP/IP onto system5 - this still uses the Excelan
card, but in 'raw' mode (ie, no protocols loaded onto the card). They claim
that the performance is better, and they also have the advantage of having
the complete source.

The problem with this, is that Inset don't own the work, it was done for
BT, and BT are unwilling to sell a copy because of the implied comittment
to support it if they do so (English law ...).
Inset can't give away work they did for someone else (who paid for it),
so all they can suggest is that they 're port' the software, but this would
cost ~30,000 pounds. ($ 50,000) !!!

So now come the question :

	Would it be possible to investigate (news) and see if someone
could help in this. What we need is either the binary that would run
on Vax 750 (TCP/IP Package, Telnet etc...) or any kind of solution
to install Ethernet via this Exos 204 card.
	We have the board, we paid for it. All the other systems (Sun's)
are awaiting to be networked to the Vax, we also do !!

Appreciate if you could tell us what door to knock at ??

Have a nice weekend

Jean-Paul

--
Steve Gilgut, Cg; Wilmington, Mass. (508)658-5600 X5277
...!{decvax,ulowell}!cg-atla!gilgut