UNIX to IBM VM/CMS File Transfers ???

Ian Moor iwm at asun3.ic.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 02:45:04 AEST 1988

>I am trying to transfer files ("C" source code) between
>UNIX (Sun, BSD 4.2) and an IBM system running  VM/CMS.
Question #1:
>I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
>tapes on my UNIX system.

A program called cmstape which will do this posted to comp.sources.unix
a while back. Most VM/CMS sites have utilities for reading OS tapes
(only IBM could produce three different tape formats for the same machine!);
if you write tapes using something like
   dd  ... obs=800 cbs=80 conv=block,ibm ...
and read them with
    LRECL 80 RECFM FB
this might work, although you will lose file names.