Curses and Input again...

Scott Storkel STORKEL at RICE.BITNET
Mon Oct 10 13:25:26 AEST 1988

First of all, thanks to everybody that helped with my last question about
curses and input. My question now is: Is there any easy way of getting the
equivalent of "cooked" input using curses? Normally, getstr() throws you
into cbreak input mode which disables editing. Or, you can set noecho mode
which will allow editing, but doesn't echo characters to the screen and so
is just about useless. It seems like there should be an easy way to do
"cooked" style editing AND be able to echo character on the screen. Don't
tell me I have to write my own character at a time input routine, and issue
some nasty ioctl() to figure out what the current editing characters are!
If this is the case, does anyone have any code they'd like to share? I could
sure use some help with this.

Please e-mail a response directly to me if possible. Thanks for the help.

Scott Storkel
Software Development
Rice University