using set term in the .login file

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Oct 27 10:36:28 AEST 1988

In article <76 at usl-pc.usl.edu> jpd at usl-pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) writes:
>tset is fine when each port has a known terminal type connected to it.
>The file (in BSD4.2) /etc/ttytype gives the correspendence, which tset
>can test.  However, at USL we have a network that randomly picks a port
>such that we don't know in advance which terminal type is going to be
>used. ...

This is one reason we bought Annex terminal servers rather than (eg)
Bridge boxes:  Annexes support the rlogin protocol, and that protocol
allows the terminal type to be passed in.  The Annex boxes can be
configured to pass a particular terminal type by default.  Thus, the
information that was once in /etc/ttytype for direct lines is now in
configuration files for the Annexes serving our building.

They really are nice boxes, and the 4.0 software fixes the output flush
bug that has plagued Emacs users since 4.2BSD.

Disclaimer: I own Annex along with all of Massachusettes.  (Boy will
they be surprised!)  :-)  :-)