"find" and {a,c,m}time

Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge merlyn at intelob.intel.com
Wed Oct 12 08:46:06 AEST 1988

In article <170 at libove.UUCP>, root at libove (Jay M. Libove) writes:

| My manual entry for find(C) (SCO uses bogus manual sections, that should
| be find(1) to the real world I think) says:
|
| find pathname-list expression
| -atime n	True if the file has been accessed in n days.
| -ctime n	True if the file has been changed in n days.
| -mtime n	True if the file has been modified in n days.
|
| Okay, so "find -?time 3 -print" should find all files ?'d within the
| last three days, right? Nope.

Right.  Nope.  As it says in TFM (Ultrix, but you can translate...)...

"In the descriptions, the argument n is used as a decimal integer
where +n means more than n, -n means less than n, and n means exactly
n."

Yup.  Can you guess the correct response?  Try:

  find <wherever> -?time -3 -print
                         ^
                         +====== this was missing

I know, 14 other people are typing in this reply at this very moment.
Oh well.
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN Technical Information Services (for now :-),