vi `ei:' (`modeline')

Marc W. Mengel mmengel at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Fri Oct 28 04:44:26 AEST 1988

In article <1221 at X.UUCP> john at frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
>>[Xenix omits the "set modeline" option, and executes ex:...: strings ]
>Another vendor that supplies this "crippled" vi is AT&T.  The System V
>Release 2.0 source tape, straight from AT&T, which we have here does not
>have this hell-spawned modelines feature.

Wait a minute... while it is true that AT&T vi/ex does not have
the "set modeline" command, it also does not interpred ex:...:
strings in the text of a file (i.e. you don't *need* the set
modeline command).   Of course, I looked at Sys.Vr.3, which is what
we are running here, Sys.Vr.2 might have inadvertently included that
"feature" when they ported from BSD...