dump/restore

Heikki Suonsivu hsu at santra.HUT.FI
Sun Oct 30 18:10:21 AEST 1988

In article <12433 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Since you're summary was "cpio is not a real backup program" I have to
>ask "why not?" I go between SysIII, SysV, micropost, xenix, Ultrix and
>SunOS using cpio, and it seems real enough for general use. If there's a

My CT miniframe refuses to read cpio output from 386 microport or
afio.  I got around the problem by compiling afio on my computers and
it works nicely, I just patched it to ask next floppy after it really
has flushed the buffers, original did ask for new floppy when still
writing on to it.  I use it for all my backups. Not as fast as fastbacks
etc on dos, but maybe I haven't checked out all the options. Does microport
386 use different DMA channel for floppies? If yes, then it could be
faster?