????? HELP!!! what is wrong with this code? ???????

Steven J. Owens steve at micropen
Thu Oct 13 07:12:49 AEST 1988

In article <8271 at alice.UUCP>, debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:

> Your code is just fine. The problem is that you named your program "test".
> There is a standard utility "test" in /bin, and if that comes before your
> current directory in your $PATH, you actually execute /bin/test instead
> of your own program. When you run "dbx test" or something, you give "test"
> as argument, and that is not subject to PATH-search, so dbx will run your
> "test" instead of /bin/test. That's all.
>
> Paul.

	I always thought UNIX checked in the directory you are in first
	for the binary, then if it couldn't find it there, it checked
	the $PATH.

	And no, the code is not 'just fine', there are problems with
	it. Although people do it, there is really no reason to
	flame anybody who asks a question in this group. They deserve
	the answers they ask for without all that. After all, this is
	comp.unix.questions, isn't it( cross postings excepted ) ?

					SJO

--
                                            Steve Owens @ Micropen, Inc.
					    Pittsford, N.Y. 14534

...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhala!micropen!steve