Waiting on multiple msg queues?

Cam Fraser cfraser at attvcr.UUCP
Thu Oct 13 10:01:26 AEST 1988

Our communications software would be greatly simplified if it was
possible to do blocking reads (and/or writes) on multiple msg queues.
I understand that Convergent Tech. has both a kernel AND a user level
mechanism for this.  This would provide for msgs queues what poll() does
for STREAMS.  Could this be done as a psuedo-device driver? Has anyone
done anything in this area? Alternatively
has anyone experience with using STREAMS as a local IPC mechanism? At
the UNIX V.4 conference the STREAMS people were not sure what the
performance hit would be compared to msg queues or even if a
loop back driver is/would be available.

Any advice appreciated & I'll summarize depending on response.

A guest here, really:
Cameron Fraser, Mobile Data International
 email: ubc-cs!mdivax1!fraser
 phone: 604-277-1511