Editing binaries

Paul S. Sawyer pss at unh.UUCP
Fri Oct 21 07:18:31 AEST 1988

In article <2966 at ci.sei.cmu.edu>, pdb at sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) writes:
> In article <4596 at mtgzz.att.com> avr at mtgzz.att.com (a.v.reed) writes:
> >[...] Just read them in with
> >:r !od -c file
> >and write them out, after editing, with
> >:w !rod -c >file
> >which is a piece of cake. So please don't tell me I can't do something just
> >because YOU don't know how. Some of us use tools, you know.
>
> And please don't assume that we all have whatever tools you have.  Where
> do I get this "rod" command (which I assume is "reverse octal dump")?  It
> doesn't exist on 4.3BSD, Ultrix 2.2, or my Unix PC (under Unix 3.51) at home.
>
> --Pat.

Nor, on my AT&T Unix 2.1.2...  Interesting that Mr. Reed speaks to us in such
a helpful manner from the company that, since they first provided my Unix O.S.,
has taken away from me, via upgrades and policy changes, such USEFUL UNIX
TOOLS as NROFF and DIRECT E-MAIL to themselves...  And who hardwired /usr/mail
in the first place...

Yes, I could write ROD;  an aquaintance was speaking to me recently (but
before this topic came up) about just such an approach, even to using the
od -c output to start with.  But I guess I really should buy the OCTAL DUMP
READER'S WORKBENCH...   8-)

In the spirit of UNIX TOOLS and the NEWS, etc, Mr. Reed, couldn't your posting
have been more like:

  "In VI, I use ':r! od -c file', edit the resulting octal representation,
  then 'w: !rod -c >file'.  ROD is a useful utility from --- which reads OD
  output back to binary form...."

Please don't cast stones - - you may break our remaining tools!