Need Advanced (??) Unix Text

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 23:34:03 AEST 1988

In article <447 at ucrmath.UUCP> jantypas at Soft21.Riverside.CA.US (John Antypas) writes:

>Perhaps I can get some more help from the net -- or at least I generate
>a ton of controvery again.  (Every time I ask a question I see my
>question for about a month!)  I'm not a Unix guru, but I'd like to learn the
>finer points about the Unix (both BSD and USG).

>What are good references for sorcer's apprentice?
>I already have "The Design of" and "Unix Device Drivers", and of course the
>famous manual sets.

       Well for starters, we should be seeing a "The Design of" book for
4.3 BSD from John Quarterman, Kirk McKusick, Mike Karels and I believe
Sam Leffler any day now.  I forget who is the publisher of the book because
it was so long ago that I was told about it.  I think it may be Prentice-Hall.

       Marc Rockind's "Advanced UNIX Programming" is just about the best
book around on the system call interface.  It is mostly geared towards the
AT&T strains of UNIX, but BSD is mentioned.  Kernighan and Pike's "The UNIX
Programming Environment" is another must have book.  Although not on UNIX,
Doug Comer's books on XINU and Andy Tannenbaum's book on Minix may be
helpful as well.  Also try to get ahold of the two issues of the Bell System
Technical Journal (now the AT&T Technical Journal) on UNIX: they are available
from AT&T and Prentice-Hall.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207