vipw - the program

Eirik Fuller eirik at tekcrl.TEK.COM
Thu Oct 20 03:21:21 AEST 1988

I like these scripts to implement vipw, but I wonder, do systems
without vipw know about /etc/ptmp?  The point of vipw as I understand
it is that /bin/passwd knows enough not to change a password if
something else (vipw, for instance) is in the middle of changing
/etc/passwd.  Seems to me vipw as a script buys you something only if
a) /bin/passwd already knows of /etc/ptmp or b) /bin/passwd is rigged
to know of /etc/ptmp.

Of course, it's a simple matter to make a front end to /bin/passwd ...