Dangers of vi & passwd (Was Re: SVR3 passwd changes mode of passwd file)

Bill Wisner wisner at killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Sat Oct 1 11:19:29 AEST 1988

>On the other hand, having more than 1 person with responsibility to
>maintain /etc/passwd simultaneously is something I avoid anyway.

This is not the point.

There is a user program, passwd, that could modify the passwd file
while you are editing it. This is the point.

>Is there a vigr for /etc/group? I never saw 1...

No, but one isn't needed. There is NOT a user program that could
modify the group file while you are editing it.