Net Novice(s) seeks help

Mark Lawrence mark at drd.UUCP
Tue Oct 25 22:21:40 AEST 1988

mabon at infmx.UUCP (Pam Mabon) and c60a-2ce at e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Mikey) write:
%% >my knowledge of nets in general is still VERY basic.

Some theoretical foundation of how the net-as-we-know-and-love-it came
to be can be found in the October 1986 (Vol29,#10) issue of
_Communications_of_the_ACM_ in the article entitled "Notable Computer
Networks" by John Quarterman and Josiah Hoskins.  Page 940 has a full
page table of address formats and gateways.

In addition, a small piece of advice since you asked, watch how others
do it (look at how they advertise their e-mail address in their
signature).  Some are more verbose than others, but much may be
intuited.  Based on your respective locations, as evidenced by your
return addresses, Pam may have to learn more about how the machine she
mails on connects to others to be successful in getting mail out (and
back).  Mikey probably has all those details handled for him (being at
Berkeley, and all).

	Mark
--
					tulsun!drd!mark at Sun.COM
	DRD Corporation			mlawrence at jarsun1.ZONE1.COM