"too big" error message under Xenix

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Wed Oct 26 22:00:45 AEST 1988

In article <3700006 at eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:
>Just a simple question here.  I'm trying to get Micro Gnu Emacs to work
>under 286 Xenix 2.0.4.  It compiles fine and makes a 67K executable.  When
>I try to run it, however, it says "mg: too big".  I've run programs much
>bigger than this, and I can't find any reference to that error message in
>my manuals.  Does anyone know what "too big" refers to here?

I don't have the answer to this one, but I can shed a little light on
the subject.

Since installing VP/ix on conexch I have been having similar errors when
attempting to run, of all things, uustat, and attempting to run spell
results in:

        table = malloc(0xc848) fails
        sbrk(0) = 0x3868
        spell: cannot initialize hash table

This is with Xenix 386 2.3.0.  I noticed that vpixadm added two additional
PATH entries to an already long PATH string.  So, first I removed several
shell functions from my environment; no change.  Next, I shortened the
PATH to just /bin:/usr/bin.  Success!  All runs as before.

I have no explanation for this.  It is annoying.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)