vi `ei:' (`modeline')

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Sun Oct 30 22:05:00 AEST 1988

In article <2146 at cuuxb.ATT.COM>, mmengel at cuuxb.ATT.COM (Marc W. Mengel) writes:
> In article <1221 at X.UUCP> john at frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
> >>[Xenix omits the "set modeline" option, and executes ex:...: strings ]
> >Another vendor that supplies this "crippled" vi is AT&T.  The System V
> >Release 2.0 source tape, straight from AT&T, which we have here does not
> >have this hell-spawned modelines feature.
> Wait a minute... while it is true that AT&T vi/ex does not have
> the "set modeline" command, it also does not interpred ex:...:
> strings in the text of a file (i.e. you don't *need* the set
> modeline command).

Alpha particles must have corrupted my mind at the time.  This was the state
that I intended to describe--no magic strings, no way of disabling the
misfeature.  Oops.

In article <8786 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>In article <2146 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> mmengel at cuuxb.UUCP (Marc W. Mengel) writes:
>-Wait a minute... while it is true that AT&T vi/ex does not have
>-the "set modeline" command, it also does not interpred ex:...:
>-strings in the text of a file (i.e. you don't *need* the set
>-modeline command).
>
>Hurray -- a "Berkeley bug" fixed by AT&T.

And so amazing that it was just simply by removing code.

Actually, I am not at all amazed...
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu

	Goooooood Morning Discovery!	-Robin Williams

	Abracadabra, 'press to MECO', America is back in space!