dump/restore

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Oct 27 04:38:36 AEST 1988

In article <178 at celerity.UUCP> billd at celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) writes:
| I am trying to write tapes from Microport System V/AT (80286 yech!) and
| I would like to use a format which can be read by BSD 4.3's dump/restore
| programs (so that I can read my backups from a real computer).  I have
| the source for dump/restore on Berkeley but it's very much bound to the
| Berkeley file system and it appears that it would be rediculously difficult
| to port.

  Since you're summary was "cpio is not a real backup program" I have to
ask "why not?" I go between SysIII, SysV, micropost, xenix, Ultrix and
SunOS using cpio, and it seems real enough for general use. If there's a
problem you have, warn us about it.

  Hopefully one of the things which will come out of the xenix SysV
merge is dump again. The V.4 info seems to say you can dump the fast
filesystem stuff but not the SysV f/s's. Since xenix does this, it can't
be *that* hard!

	(the REAL bill davidsen)
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)