Unix in the world of commercial applications

John Pries jfp at mck-csc.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 04:29:00 AEST 1988

I'm on a quest to find large organizations that might have applications
running in production under UNIX.

I am not looking for the mom and pop stores or other cottage type
companies.  Instead I am looking for companies with 100's of millions
of dollars in annual sales that have substantial investments in Unix
based applications and hardware platforms.  I expect the majority
of these would be in the category of "cloned applications"; identical
platforms running in each store, hotel, plant, etc., but by no
means am I limiting my search to that type.

I an not restricting my search to any particular flavor of Unix or
brand of hardware,  I'm trying to track down where some of the
more than 1 $billion/year of Unix platform sales into the commercial
marketplace is going.

By commercial applications, I mean to include such mundane stuff as:

       - A/R, A/P, G/L
       - Order Entry
       - Point of Sale
       - Shop floor automation
       - Inventory Control

and mean to exclude:

       - System Development
       - CAD

Please email any responses, and will email any results upon completion to
any requesters, (subject to the usual net penalties).

Thanx.
                                      John Pries
                                      McKinsey & Co.
                                      ..!mit-eddie!mck-csc!jfp