Bourne Shell Comments Problem

Suu Quan quan at hplabsb.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 01:18:13 AEST 1988

In article <292 at dsacng1.UUCP>, nab1382 at dsacng1.UUCP (Dick Hauser) writes:
> I have a question regarding usage of a comment line in the Bourne
> Shell.  Here is the situation.  The comment indicator (i.e #) is
> in position 1 of the first record of the file.  The comment line
> was followed by a read command for a varibale.  When the shell
> was executed using "sh -x shellname", everything worked.  But
> when the shell is executed, and execution is not traced, an error
> message "read not found" is displayed.

	I bet your shell script will work with "sh shellname".
Doing either "sh -x shellname" or "sh shellname" forces the file
to be interpreted by the Bourne shell.

	Usually, a # as the very first character of a file is NOT a
comment, but an indication of what shell should be used to interpret this.

	I have the habit to use as 1st line :
"#! /bin/sh"
or
"#! /bin/csh"

	Everything else (as 1st character) implies using your favorite shell.

NOTE : " #! /bin/csh" as the first line will be executed by your favorite
	shell, not csh : 1st character is blank.